The don’t say “It’s greater in Decatur” for nothing! Decatur is home to a long list of nationally registered historic sites, as well as privately owned historic homes. Anchored in the center by the famous Decatur square, this area has become a destination for homebuyers interested in the sense of community in this neighborhood as well as the stellar city schools. Our neighborhood expert, Kristi Jordan, gives her reasons for Decatur's greatness below.
- Festivals - Decatur is home to a multitude of festivals- everything from wine to books. There is a BBQ, Blues and Bluegrass festival for the music fans, the Decatur Wine Festival features over 300 wines, and frequently hosts concerts on the square.
- Great Schools - Decatur City Schools are among the best in the nation. Decatur High School consistently ranks on national lists of best schools, and the feeder schools are excellent as well. There are several colleges in Decatur, such as Agnes Scott, Columbia Seminary, and Emory University which give Decatur a small college town feel.
- Community Feel/Walkability - Downtown Decatur has a walkability score of 89, which means the average resident can easily walk to shops, restaurants and entertainment. This makes Decatur one of the most community-oriented neighborhoods in Atlanta.
- Shopping - If you are going to walk to shops, there better be shops worth going to! Boogaloo is one of the best shops in Decatur, but there are plenty of others- including some of the best thrift shops for those frugal shoppers.
- Restaurants - If you come to Decatur, come hungry! Cakes and Ale and The Iberian Pig are consistently rated as some of the best restaurants in Atlanta, and there are plenty of local coffee shops as well. A personal favorite is Java Monkey Cafe, which serves coffee and pastries in the morning, and wine in the evenings. Something for everyone!
Ready to call Decatur home? Start your search here.